Note: This is resource 1 of 6 – Environmental Design Resources Handbook
This handbook introduces the full suite of resources available within DTA’s Designing for People with Dementia Service.
It provides an overview of the collection of resources is to support those who wish to improve environments for people with dementia. The resources introduce the reader to a systematic way of looking at the built environment and provide a number of tools that guide the user to an understanding of what needs to be changed, and how the change might be accomplished.
Resource 1 (PDF): Introduction. Using The Built Environment To Create Comprehensible Manageable and Meaningful Environments
See ‘Related Resources’ below for more downloads in this suite
Our free BEAT-D App (Built Environment Assessment Tool – Dementia) will guide you through an assessment of the strengths and weaknesses of buildings used to accommodate people with dementia.
Environmental Design Resources Handbook
This handbook consists of a suite of 6 resources. Access the individual resources below:
Introduction. Using The Built Environment To Create Comprehensible Manageable and Meaningful Environments
- Asset Type Print Materials
- Learning Pathway Discovery, Inquiry, Implementation, Extension
- Topic Areas Environmental Design
- Target Audience Residential Aged Care, In Home or Community-Based Care, Hospital, Private Practice, Primary Care, Respite Care, Hospice or Palliative Care, Transition Care, Ambulance or Paramedic, Civic, Retail, University VET or Research Institute
- Target Occupations Medical & Pharmacy, Nursing, Allied Health & Care Support, Services, Management & Administration, Design & Civic, Education & Evaluation, Person Living with Dementia / Family Carer, Researcher, Medical Specialist, General Practitioner, Psychiatrist, Psychogeriatrician, Pharmacist, Podiatrist, Intern or resident, Nurse Specialist, Registered Nurse, Practice Nurse, Endorsed Enrolled Nurse, Enrolled Nurse, Assistant in Nursing, Student Nurse, Psychologist, Social Worker, Physiotherapist, Occupational Therapist, Speech Therapist, Dietician Nutrition Specialist, Complementary or Alternative Therapist, Leisure / Lifestyle / Recreational / Diversional Therapist, Personal Care Worker, Housekeeping, Hospitality, Cleaning, and Maintenance, Transport, Grooming, Assessment Services, Spiritual Services, Executive or Senior, Middle Manager, Reception or Administration, Architect, Interior /Outdoor design, Town Planning, Retail or Public Infrastructure, Accreditation, Academic, Undergraduate Student
- Target Populations Anyone with Dementia, Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Peoples, Culturally and Linguistic Diverse Groups, Younger Onset Dementia, Homeless Persons, Veterans, LGBTIQ, Care Leavers, Rural, Remote, Metropolitan
Kirsty Bennett & Richard Fleming