Note: This is resource 4 of 6 – Environmental Design Resources Handbook
Environmental Assessment Tool (EAT – Handbook)
This handbook assists users of the Environmental Assessment Tool – Higher Care (EAT-HC) to systematically review and create better environments for people living with dementia. The focus of the EAT-HC is facilities providing care for the less mobile person with dementia.
There are four parts in the handbook.
- Part 1 ‘Key Design Principles’ contains a description of key design principles.
- Part 2 ‘The Environmental Assessment Tool – Higher Care’ introduces the EAT-HC and provides directions for its use.
- Part 3 ‘Using the Spreadsheet’ contains a guide to scoring the EAT-HC and showing the results graphically.
- Part 4 ‘Applying the Principles’ provides information about the questions contained in the EAT-HC and outlines design considerations for each of the questions.
Environmental Design Resources Handbook
This handbook consists of a suite of 6 resources. Access the individual resources below:
Environmental Assessment Tool – High Care (EAT-HC) HANDBOOK
Download the free BEAT-D App
DTA’s free BEAT-D App (Built Environment Assessment Tool – Dementia) will guide you through an assessment of the strengths and weaknesses of buildings used to accommodate people with dementia
- Asset Type Print Materials
- Learning Pathway Inquiry, Implementation
- Topic Areas Environmental Design
- Target Audience Residential Aged Care, Hospital, Hospice or Palliative Care
- Target Occupations Medical & Pharmacy, Nursing, Allied Health & Care Support, Services, Management & Administration, Design & Civic, Education & Evaluation, Person Living with Dementia / Family Carer, Researcher, Medical Specialist, General Practitioner, Psychiatrist, Psychogeriatrician, Pharmacist, Podiatrist, Intern or resident, Nurse Specialist, Registered Nurse, Practice Nurse, Endorsed Enrolled Nurse, Enrolled Nurse, Assistant in Nursing, Student Nurse, Psychologist, Social Worker, Physiotherapist, Occupational Therapist, Speech Therapist, Dietician Nutrition Specialist, Complementary or Alternative Therapist, Leisure / Lifestyle / Recreational / Diversional Therapist, Personal Care Worker, Housekeeping, Hospitality, Cleaning, and Maintenance, Transport, Grooming, Assessment Services, Spiritual Services, Executive or Senior, Middle Manager, Reception or Administration, Architect, Interior /Outdoor design, Town Planning, Retail or Public Infrastructure, Accreditation, Academic, Undergraduate Student
- Target Populations Anyone with Dementia
Richard Fleming & Kirsty Bennett