Note: This is resource 5 of 6 – Environmental Design Resources Handbook
Dementia Friendly Community – Environmental Assessment Tool
The handbook assist users of the Dementia Friendly Community -Environmental Assessment Tool (DFC-EAT) to systematically review and create better environments for people living with dementia.
There are three parts in the handbook:
- Part 1 ‘Key Design Principles’ contains a description of key design principles.
- Part 2 ‘The Dementia Friendly Community – Environmental Assessment Tool (DFC-EAT)’ introduces the DFC-EAT and provides directions for its use.
- Part 3 ‘Using the Spreadsheet’ contains a guide to scoring the DFC-EAT and showing the results graphically.
Environmental Design Resources Handbook
This handbook consists of a suite of 6 resources. Access the individual resources below:
Dementia Friendly Community – Environmental Assessment Tool (DFC-EAT) HANDBOOK
Download the free BEAT-D App
DTA’s free BEAT-D App (Built Environment Assessment Tool – Dementia) will guide you through an assessment of the strengths and weaknesses of buildings used to accommodate people with dementia
- Asset Type Print Materials
- Learning Pathway Inquiry, Implementation
- Topic Areas Environmental Design
- Target Audience Residential Aged Care, In Home or Community-Based Care, Hospital, Private Practice, Primary Care, Respite Care, Hospice or Palliative Care, Transition Care, Civic, Retail, University VET or Research Institute
- Target Occupations Medical & Pharmacy, Nursing, Allied Health & Care Support, Services, Management & Administration, Design & Civic, Education & Evaluation, Person Living with Dementia / Family Carer, Researcher, Medical Specialist, General Practitioner, Psychiatrist, Psychogeriatrician, Pharmacist, Podiatrist, Intern or resident, Nurse Specialist, Registered Nurse, Practice Nurse, Endorsed Enrolled Nurse, Enrolled Nurse, Assistant in Nursing, Student Nurse, Psychologist, Social Worker, Physiotherapist, Occupational Therapist, Speech Therapist, Dietician Nutrition Specialist, Complementary or Alternative Therapist, Leisure / Lifestyle / Recreational / Diversional Therapist, Personal Care Worker, Housekeeping, Hospitality, Cleaning, and Maintenance, Transport, Grooming, Assessment Services, Spiritual Services, Executive or Senior, Middle Manager, Reception or Administration, Architect, Interior /Outdoor design, Town Planning, Retail or Public Infrastructure, Accreditation, Academic, Undergraduate Student
- Target Populations Anyone with Dementia
Richard Fleming & Kirsty Bennett