This course aims to assist workers across the health and aged care sectors to become culturally competent in caring for lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender and intersex (LGBTI) people with dementia.
The course consists of 4 modules:
- Introduction to LGBTI people
- LGBTI lived experiences, past and present
- Considerations of care for older LGBTI people with dementia
- Implementation to practice.
By completing this program, participants will be able to:
- describe the term LGBTI and key terminology
- understand the discrimination experienced and some key issues still present for LGBTI people
- increase basic awareness of dementia and how it may impact LGBTI people.
- identify care considerations of older LGBTI people with dementia
- identify how organisations can become more LGBTI inclusive
- access resources that support organisations to become more LGBTI inclusive.
Primary Learner Setting
Content is relevant to community care, acute care and residential aged care settings
Target Learner Occupations
Content is relevant to all those caring for LGBTI people living with dementia
Continuing Professional Education Statement
A Completion Certificate for Continuing Professional Education credit of 3 hours is awarded on completion of all 3 modules.
The Caring for Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender and Intersex (LGBTI) People with Dementia eLearning course was developed by the Dementia Training Study Centres (South Australia) with Dementia Australia in 2016. The course was updated in 2018 following a review by the National LGBTI Health Alliance and Dementia Training Australia. If your organisation achieves the formal Rainbow Tick Accreditation, it will be listed on a national register as an LGBTI-inclusive organisation. Dementia Training Australia is supported by funding from the Australian Government under the Dementia and Aged Care Services Fund.
Topic Areasdementia-general, leadership, person-centred-care, responsive-behaviours, sexualities, workforce-needs-analysis-profiling,
Target Audienceambulance-or-paramedic, civic, hospice-or-palliative-care, hospital, in-home-or-community-based-care, primary-care, private-practice, residential-aged-care, respite-care, retail, transition-care, university-vet-or-research-institute,
Target Occupationallied-health-and-care-support, education-and-evaluation, management-and-administration, medical-pharmacy, nursing, researcher, services,
Register for your preferred course date below
Registrations will close the day before the course starts
- July 2019 2 Jul - 23 Jul, 2019Starts soon! Course ID: 78859 Register