Lesbian Gay Bisexual Transgender and Intersex (LGBTI) people and dementia
The workshop will explore who LGBTI people are, their lived experience and discrimination. It will cover the decades of history, LGBTI people in the context of dementia, and identify inclusive dementia and aged care services.
- Understand who LGBTI people are, including terminology (sexuality and language)
- Identify the types and level of discrimination impacting LGBTI people
- Identify social and legislative changes in Australia
- Understand the experience of LGBTI people living with dementia, and their partners
- Identify strategies for inclusive care of LGBTI people living with dementia, and their partners
- Identify and source resources to help implement LGBTI-inclusive aged care/dementia services.
This one day symposium consists of six separate two hour workshops which each focus on the unique needs of individual groups of people living with dementia.
Session One 9.00 to 11.00am
- Homelessness and dementia workshop
- Resources to support care of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander (ATSI) people with dementia
Session Two 11.20am to 1.20pm
- Lesbian Gay Bisexual Transgender and Intersex (LGBTI) people and dementia workshop
- Younger Onset Dementia (YOD) workshop
Session Three 2.00 to 4.00pm
- Dementia among veterans workshop
- Dementia in Culturally and Linguistically Diverse (CALD) populations workshop
Please follow the links above for more information, registration details and flyers for each individual two hour workshop taking place in Brisbane, QLD.
You can attend one workshop in each session time across the day. It is essential that you register for each workshop you would like to attend.
- Date November 21, 2017
- Time from 11:20 AM
- Time to 01:20 PM
- Location / Region Queensland / Brisbane
- Asset Type Workshop
- Learning Pathway Discovery, Implementation
- Topic Areas Dementia (general), Sexualities
- Target Audience Residential Aged Care, In Home or Community-Based Care, Hospital, Private Practice, Primary Care, Respite Care, Hospice or Palliative Care, Transition Care
- Target Occupations Medical & Pharmacy, Nursing, Allied Health & Care Support
- Target Populations Anyone with Dementia, LGBTIQ
- Event Flyer LGBTI-DiDG-Flyer-_QLD-21.11.17.pdf
- Knowledge Translation Thinking, Doing
- Registration Phone 07 3138 3822
Training & Development Coordinator Queensland Aids Council (QuAC)
Learning OutcomesThe workshop will explore who LGBTI people are, their lived experience and discrimination. It will cover the decades of history, LGBTI people in the context of dementia, and identify inclusive dementia and aged care services.
This two hour workshop may contribute to your Continuing Professional Development (CPD)
N Block, Level 5, Room N516
QUT, Cnr Hill Rd & Ring Road Kelvin Grove, 4059