Homelessness and Dementia
This workshop will increase participants’ knowledge and understanding of people who are (or have been) homeless and are living with dementia. It will assist participants to respond appropriately to homeless people living with dementia and support them effectively, especially in residential aged care.
By the end of the workshop participants will be able to:
- Describe the most common forms of dementia associated with homelessness
- Identify the most appropriate cognitive screening approach and tools
- Describe the characteristics of high quality residential aged care for people with dementia who are homeless (or at risk of becoming homeless)
- Identify services for homeless people with dementia and know how to access them
- Identify the gaps in services that need to be addressed.
This one day symposium consists of six separate two hour workshops which each focus on the unique needs of individual groups of people living with dementia.
Session One 9.00 to 11.00am
- Homelessness and dementia workshop
- Resources to support care of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander (ATSI) people with dementia
Session Two 11.20am to 1.20pm
- Lesbian Gay Bisexual Transgender and Intersex (LGBTI) people and dementia workshop
- Younger Onset Dementia (YOD) workshop
Session Three 2.00 to 4.00pm
- Dementia among veterans workshop
- Dementia in Culturally and Linguistically Diverse (CALD) populations workshop
Please follow the links above for more information, registration details and flyers for each individual two hour workshop taking place in Brisbane, QLD.
You can attend one workshop in each session time across the day. It is essential that you register for each workshop you would like to attend.
- Date November 21, 2017
- Time from 09:00 AM
- Time to 11:00 AM
- Location / Region Queensland / Brisbane
- Asset Type Workshop
- Learning Pathway Discovery
- Topic Areas Dementia (general), Responsive Behaviours, Person-Centred Care, Homelessness
- Target Audience Residential Aged Care, In Home or Community-Based Care, Hospital, Private Practice, Primary Care, Respite Care, Transition Care
- Target Occupations Nursing, Allied Health & Care Support
- Target Populations Anyone with Dementia, Homeless Persons
- Event Flyer Homelessness-DiDG-Flyer-_QLD-21.11.17.pdf
- Knowledge Translation Thinking, Doing
- Registration Phone 07 3138 3822
Dr Kathleen Finlayson
Research Fellow, Institute of Health and Biomedical Innovation Queensland University of Technology
Learning OutcomesThis workshop will increase participants’ knowledge and understanding of people who are (or have been) homeless and are living with dementia. It will assist participants to respond appropriately to people living with dementia and support them effectively, especially in residential aged care.
This two hour workshop may contribute to your Continuing Professional Development (CPD).
N Block, Level 5, Room N516
QUT, Cnr Hill Rd & Ring Road, Kelvin Grove, Brisbane, QLD