Did you know…
Visit your DTA Profile at any time to access your active courses, see your pending enrolments, view your completed courses and download a Certificate. You can also manage your personal details and password.
Sexual expression is a part of life no matter what age we are and therefore older people living with dementia also need to be considered. In an aged care context, this can be a confronting and challenging issue for service providers and health professionals.
Responses can be reactive rather than proactive, with many staff not knowing what to do. There are beliefs that older people are asexual, and that sexual needs and behaviour is only for those who are “cognitively intact”. There can also be a lack of regard for non-heterosexual people living with dementia.
- Date May 9, 2019
- Time from 03:00 PM
- Time to 04:00 PM
- Location / Region Queensland
- Asset Type Webinar
- Learning Pathway Discovery, Inquiry
- Topic Areas Dementia (general)
- Target Audience Residential Aged Care, In Home or Community-Based Care, Hospital, Private Practice, Primary Care, Respite Care, Hospice or Palliative Care, Transition Care, University VET or Research Institute
- Target Occupations Allied Health & Care Support, Services, Management & Administration, Education & Evaluation, Researcher, Medical Specialist, General Practitioner, Psychiatrist, Psychogeriatrician, Pharmacist, Intern or resident, Nurse Specialist, Registered Nurse, Practice Nurse, Endorsed Enrolled Nurse, Enrolled Nurse, Assistant in Nursing, Student Nurse
- Target Populations Anyone with Dementia, LGBTIQ, People with dementia living in residential aged care
- Event Flyer Sexualities-Dementia-Webinar-9-May.pdf
- Knowledge Translation Thinking, Doing
- Registration Phone 07 3138 3822
Associate Professor Cindy Jones
Associate Professor of Behavioural Science
Faculty of Health Science
Dr. Cindy Jones is an Associate Professor of Behavioural Sciences at Bond University and an Adjunct Research Fellow with the Menzies Health Institute Queensland. She developed the Sexualities and Dementia: An Online Education Resource for Health Professional, funded by the Department of Health and Ageing via the Dementia Training Australia. Dr Jones work relates to the improvement of knowledge, attitudes and care practices of health professionals towards the expression of sexuality.
- Develop an understanding regarding the concepts of intimacy, sexuality and sexual behaviours, and expression of various types of sexuality (i.e. heterosexual and LGBTI)
- Discuss the benefits and barriers to expression of sexuality
- Consider the roles and responsibilities of health care professionals, and ethical considerations.
1 hour equals 1 point (Nursing) (Allied Health)
If you would like to participate in this 45 minute presentation followed by 15 minute Q and A session, you will need a computer with a speaker connected to the internet. You do not need a camera or microphone.
You will be able to type questions to the presenter during the presentation via a questions window. The presenter will endeavor to answer as many questions as possible.
A webinar link will be sent via email once registered.
Phone: 07 3138 3822
- Registrations Open: 15 Mar 2019
- Registrations Close: 08 May 2019