Become a DTA member to access our free eLearning courses and receive email updates on DTA events
DTA-31635-08-18: Caring for Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender and Intersex (LGBTI) People with Dementia
2 August, 2018
Estimated time to complete:
Continuing Professional Education
This course aims to assist workers across the health and aged care sectors to become culturally competent in caring for lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender and intersex (LGBTI) people with dementia.
The course consists of 4 modules:
- Introduction to LGBTI people
- LGBTI lived experiences, past and present
- Considerations of care for older LGBTI people with dementia
- Implementation to practice.
Primary Learner Setting
Content is relevant to community care, acute care and residential aged care settings
Target Learner Occupations
Content is relevant to all those caring for LGBTI people living with dementia
Continuing Professional Education Statement
A Completion Certificate for Continuing Professional Education credit is awarded on completion of all 3 modules.
The Caring for Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender and Intersex (LGBTI) People with Dementia eLearning course was developed by the Dementia Training Study Centres (South Australia) with Dementia Australia in 2016.
The course was updated in 2018 following a review by the National LGBTI Health Alliance and Dementia Training Australia.
Dementia Training Australia is supported by funding from the Australian Government under the Dementia and Aged Care Services Fund
If your organisation achieves the formal Rainbow Tick Accreditation, it will be listed on a national register as an LGBTI-inclusive organisation.
- Date from August 2, 2018
- Date to August 24, 2018
- Location / Region Online Course
- Asset Type eLearning
- Learning Pathway Discovery
- Topic Areas Dementia (general), Responsive Behaviours, Sexualities, Person-Centred Care, Workforce needs analysis / profiling, Leadership
- Target Audience Residential Aged Care, In Home or Community-Based Care, Hospital, Private Practice, Primary Care, Respite Care, Hospice or Palliative Care, Transition Care, Ambulance or Paramedic, Civic, Retail, University VET or Research Institute
- Target Occupations Medical & Pharmacy, Nursing, Allied Health & Care Support, Services, Management & Administration, Education & Evaluation, Researcher, Medical Specialist, General Practitioner, Psychiatrist, Psychogeriatrician, Pharmacist, Podiatrist, Intern or resident, Nurse Specialist, Registered Nurse, Practice Nurse, Endorsed Enrolled Nurse, Enrolled Nurse, Assistant in Nursing, Student Nurse, Psychologist, Social Worker, Physiotherapist, Occupational Therapist, Speech Therapist, Dietician Nutrition Specialist, Complementary or Alternative Therapist, Leisure / Lifestyle / Recreational / Diversional Therapist, Personal Care Worker, Housekeeping, Hospitality, Cleaning, and Maintenance, Transport, Grooming, Assessment Services, Spiritual Services, Executive or Senior, Middle Manager, Reception or Administration, Accreditation, Academic, Undergraduate Student
- Target Populations LGBTIQ
- Knowledge Translation Thinking, Doing
- Registration Phone +61 2 4221 5555
- KT Survey Date Range March to August 2018
Learning OutcomesBy completing this program, participants will be able to:
- describe the term LGBTI and key terminology
- understand the discrimination experienced and some key issues still present for LGBTI people
- increase basic awareness of dementia and how it may impact LGBTI people.
- identify care considerations of older LGBTI people with dementia
- identify how organisations can become more LGBTI inclusive
- access resources that support organisations to become more LGBTI inclusive.
You must complete each step before you can access a short evaluation and print a certificate of completion. You may be able to use the certificate as acknowledgement for Continuous Professional Development.
Use the button below to express your interest in registering for this course. You will receive instructions regarding how to begin the course just prior to it's start date.
Phone: +61 2 4221 5555
- Registrations Open: 11 Jul 2018
- Registrations Close: 02 Aug 2018
If you don't already have a DTA account, you will need to create one before registeringRegister for this Course
- E-mail email@example.com
- Person Sandra Jeavons
Queensland University of Technology
Kelvin Grove 4059